Your mindset is what determines your journey and destination. As Carol Dweck – author of Mindset & psychologist says “Talent isn’t passed down in the genes! It is found in the mindset” When I first moved to the US in 2015, I had a lot trouble finding a job. I faced rejection and found myself plagued with self-doubt. Here was what was on my mind.
- I don’t have US experience.
- I changed my career 2 years ago and don’t have enough experience.
- My career would have been so much better if I hadn’t relocated.
I was focusing on what was missing. My mindset was limiting, and when I met people, I was afraid to lean into my story. I wasn’t being assertive about my talent & experiences. A pivotal moment came one day when a friend told me- Hey you may not have US experience, but you have International experience- which is an asset. I thought to myself! Wow. I do. That shifted my mindset from one of lack to one of abundance. I made a list of all the things I had.
- I have global & multicultural experiences.
- My career opportunities have opened up due to my relocations.
- I have ”life” experiences to showcase during my “gaps”.
This was an abundance mindset, and allowed me to feel confident about myself. It changed the way I introduced myself to others. I was able to land my dream position & my relocation story was featured in multiple newspapers, including USA Today and others. As you read these two descriptions, ask yourself which mindset are you operating from? If you are in a scarcity mindset, when you introduce yourself to someone, you might have a great script, but your inner confidence will not shine through. We need to move to the abundance mindset to be able to own our story.
The next question on your mind may be- How do I gain an abundance mindset?
Here are 3 tips:
- Make a list of your strengths: Start by making a list of everything that you are great at! List your strengths, appreciate yourself, and shift your mindset.
- Believe that there truly is enough to go around: There are enough jobs. There are enough people who value your talent! We often tell ourselves- There is too much competition, OR there are others who are better than me. Try changing that to positive statements, and say: I believe in my abilities to land a job. Someone out there is looking exactly for the talents & experience I have.
- Help others: Only those who have a lot can give. A surefire way to feel abundant is to offer your gifts to others. This not only has a positive impact on the community, but will also elevate your confidence. The above tips can be a great starting point to shifting your mindset.
Another way to shift your mindset is to change how you introduce yourself.Recognizing the unique experiences you have had and talking about them can help you land that dream job.
At we are Pistachio, our mission is to unlock the personal, professional & economic potential of every relocating spouse. We empower relocating spouses to own their relocation journey.
Want to learn more, check out this e-learning by We are Pistachio.
Visit our Website: https://wearepistachio.com